More and more people are choosing to have liposuction to eliminate excess fat and slim and reshape various areas of the body. Previously surgical liposuction was the only option available for body contouring. Today, with advancements in technology, reliable New York City plastic surgery practices offer a variety of non-surgical liposuction options that can help you achieve your aesthetic goals with less trauma and downtime than traditional liposuction.
What is non-surgical liposuction?
Non-surgical liposuction is a minimally-invasive procedure that is performed using different forms of energy such as laser, ultrasound or radiofrequency. Thermal energy is used to destroy the unwanted fat cells and tighten the skin. Nonsurgical liposuction is performed using local anesthesia, has a quicker recovery time and less pain than conventional surgery, while providing high-quality results.
Benefits of a minimally-invasive procedure:
- It is an outpatient procedure
- Needs only tiny incisions
- Causes less pain and discomfort after the procedure
- Local anesthesia is used
- Minimal swelling, scarring, and bruising
- Little to no downtime
- Removes fat and also has skin-tightening benefits
- Long-lasting results
- Quick recovery
Non-surgical liposuction methods:
- SmartLipo Triplex (laser-assisted): This is an FDA-approved procedure that uses laser energy to remove excess fat and firm loose skin. The SmartLipo Triplex workstation uses three different wavelengths – 1440, 1064, and 1320 nm – to liquefy localized fat tissues and tighten the skin. A special probe containing the Smartlipo laser fiber is inserted into the targeted area through a small incision and laser energy is delivered directly to fat cells to disrupt the fat cells. This allows for easier removal of the fat through the gentle suction. The procedure also tightens the tissue through coagulation, providing an overall smoother shape.
- VASERlipo (ultrasound-assisted): After administering local anesthesia, the plastic surgeon will insert the VASER device’s ultrasound probe into the fat cells. The high-frequency sound waves that the probe transmits disrupts and liquefies the fat cells, allowing them to be removed from the body through a suction process. While removing unwanted fat effectively, the technology preserves the surrounding structures like the blood vessels, nerves, and connecting tissue.
- BodyTite (radiofrequency-assisted): The surgeon will begin the treatment by marking the area to be treated and numb it using local anesthesia. A tiny incision is made and the BodyTite handpiece is inserted into the subcutaneous tissue. The device has two probes: one works under the skin by heating the soft-tissue matrix and liquefies the fat through the temperature controlled by radiofrequency energy, while the other extracts the liquefied fat and coagulates adipose, fibrous, and vascular tissue. The radiofrequency energy also stimulates collagen production and tightens the skin. It helps the plastic surgeon to sculpt your body to a natural looking, attractive shape.
Areas that minimally-invasive liposuction can treat:
- Double chin
- Love handles
- Inner & outer thighs
- Arms, and more
Generally, good candidates are people who are healthy and close to their ideal weight, but have stubborn fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. It’s also important to have good skin elasticity. Liposuction candidates should have realistic expectations.
Recovery time can vary based on the patient, the area treated, and the technology used. For the best outcome and speedy recovery, you should choose the best plastic surgeon that has extensive experience and skill in performing the procedure, and follow his/her instructions before and after the procedure. It is important you should also follow a healthy lifestyle with nutritious food and exercise to balance your weight for long-lasting results.
If are considering non-surgical liposuction, choose a plastic surgeon who is skilled in using energy-based techniques and provides services in an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice. Your plastic surgeon will determine whether you qualify for a non-surgical fat removal procedure. If you are an ideal candidate, your surgeon will provide customized treatment to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.