Liposuction is a cosmetic surgical procedure designed to remove excess fat deposits. It is usually recommended when diet and exercise fail to provide the desired body sculpting results. Liposuction consistently ranks among the top five cosmetic surgical procedures in the U.S. When performed by a skilled cosmetic surgeon in New York City, this fat removal procedure can help men and women achieve a well-defined body.
Despite its popularity, many people ask: is liposuction worth getting?
At the outset, you should know that liposuction is not a weight-loss method or an alternative to weight loss. It is a surgical procedure that uses specialized techniques to remove stubborn fat from the body. Liposuction would be the right option in a variety of situations:
- To remove localized deposits of fat: If you have unwanted fat in areas such as the abdomen, thighs, hips, buttocks, face, chin neck, and arms, and find that they do not respond to even rigorous diets and exercise, liposuction can help. The procedure will reshape the body to an attractive shape.
- To look better in your clothes: By removing excess fat, liposuction helps you fit better in swimsuits and slim-fit clothes.
- To improve overall body proportions: Having liposuction is worth it if you want to get rid of fat in certain areas and bring it into better balance with the rest of your body.
- To improve the results of another procedure: Plastic surgeons often combine liposuction with another treatment to improve the results.
It’s important to remember that conventional liposuction surgery may not provide the desired outcomes if:
- You have a lot of loose, sagging skin
- If you are looking to lose weight
Regardless of your reason for having liposuction, it is important to have realistic expectations about the results.
Today, NYC plastic surgeons offer body sculpting procedures using a variety of minimally-invasive and noninvasive technologies. These options are ideal for patients who don’t want to go under the knife to achieve their body contouring goals. Unlike traditional liposuction, these techniques involves less downtime and minimal to no surgical trauma. They remove fat and also tightens the skin. Safe and effective minimally-invasive liposuction is an ideal option to treat areas such as the upper arms, abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, face, jowls, neck, knees and calves.
Minimally-invasive treatment come with the following benefits:
- Outpatient procedure under local anesthesia
- Little to no downtime
- Minimal swelling, scarring, and bruising
- Reduced pain and discomfort
- Fat removal and skin-tightening benefits
- Long-lasting results
- Quick recovery
- SmartLipo Triplex (laser-assisted): This is the first FDA-approved laser-assisted lipolysis workstation. This advanced technology procedure helps eliminate stubborn fat deposits, excess sagginess, and tightens the skin. The revolutionary SmartLipo Triplex workstation combines the power of three laser wavelengths – 1440, 1064, and 1320 nm – to melt fat cells for easy removal and also improve loose skin. Its intelligent delivery systems monitor energy delivery and prevent overtreatment. Results improve over time. Read more about Smartlipo.
- VASERlipo (Ultrasound-assisted): This FDA approved device uses ultrasound waves to selectively eliminate unwanted fat, tighen skin, and provide outstanding results. The advanced technique is gentle on the body and can be effectively used on areas such as abdomen, buttocks, thighs, hips, and also delicate areas such as the neck and arms. It targets the unwanted fat without affecting other important tissues such as the blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissues. VASERlipo is powerful enough to remove large areas of fat, and gentle enough to treat more delicate areas. Read more about VASERlipo.
- BodyTite (Radiofrequency-assisted): The BodyTite procedure uses radiofrequency assisted liposuction (RFAL) to remove adipose tissue and reduce cellulite with remarkable skin tightening effects. A young, healthy person with good skin quality will experience a good skin contraction after the treatament.
To be a good candidate for liposuction and achieve optimal outcomes, you should be physically healthy and mentally stable. You should be close to your ideal body weight, but have stubborn fat in localized areas that is resistant to diet and exercise. Having firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone can improve resulta.
AAAASF-credited practices that offer cosmetic surgery in Manhattan have expert liposuction surgeons. Based on your anatomical considerations and aesthetic goals, your surgeon will help you choose the right liposuction option. Remember that the experience and skill of your cosmetic surgeon will impact your results quite significantly.