Many men and women seeking to achieve a toned, smooth and flat stomach turn to cosmetic surgery when diet and exercise regimens don’t provide the desired results. Excessive weight loss and pregnancy are the main factors that cause excess fat and skin in the abdominal area. Fortunately, a tummy tuck in New York can provide the solution. The procedure, also known as abdominoplasty, improves abdominal contour by removing excess fat and skin, and restoring weakened or separated muscles.
Expert plastic surgeons in NYC perform the tummy tuck using advanced FDA-approved, minimally-invasive liposuction devices such as BodyTite, Smartlipo Triplex and VASER lipo. The minimally-invasive procedure provides all the benefits of a traditional abdominoplasty but with minimal surgical trauma, less downtime, and a shorter recovery period. The benefits of a tummy tuck procedure are:
- Effective fat reduction
- Tightens sagging skin and weak abdomen muscles
- A flatter, smoother tummy
- Improved body contour
However, in addition to these cosmetic rewards, a tummy tuck also provides certain medical benefits, especially when it is necessary as a corrective procedure for patients with certain conditions. The key functional benefits that a tummy tuck in NYC can provide are as follows:
- Reduces stress urinary incontinence: A tummy tuck reduces stress urinary incontinence (SUI). A bladder control condition, SUI develops when there is too much pressure on the bladder and urethra. It mainly affects women after a vaginal delivery. The main symptom of the condition is uncontrollable leakage of the bladder, especially when sneezing, coughing, or laughing. Research shows that getting a tummy tuck may help. During the procedure, the plastic surgeon can obstruct the bladder with soft tissue to support the pelvic floor, bladder, and urethra and prevent leakage.
- Addresses back pain: Back pain is a common problem that many women experience after delivery. A study published in 2018 found that tummy tuck surgery can reduce back pain after childbearing. More than half (51%) of the women who took part in the study had reported moderate to severe disability from back pain. After having a tummy tuck, it was found that:
- Scores for back pain continued to improve from 6 weeks to 6 months after abdominoplasty
- After 6 months, only 9% of patients still had moderate disability from back pain.
Losing a significant amount of weight, weak stomach muscles and back and spine muscles that are not appropriately supported can often result in muscle imbalances and back pain. Getting a tummy tuck can help address these concerns. During a tummy tuck, in addition to removing excess abdominal skin and fat, the surgeon will tighten the underlying musculature. This will provide the much-needed abdominal support and alleviate back pain.
- Corrects a ventral hernia: A ventral hernia is a bulge of tissues that protrudes through a weakening or an opening in the abdominal wall muscles. It can occur due to several reasons such as abdominal weakness resulting from massive weight loss, an appendectomy or a C-section. The condition can cause pain, discomfort and complications with other organs such as the intestines. A tummy tuck flattens the stomach and also targets weakened abdominal muscles. As the procedure strengthens the muscles, a tummy tuck can correct a ventral hernia.
- Improves posture: While strengthening the abdominal muscles and decreased back pain, a tummy tuck provides more support to the spine and automatically improves posture too.
- Increases exercise tolerance: By addressing excess skin and weak abs, a tummy tuck makes exercising easier. It motivates patients to stick to an exercise regimen and helps promote a liking for exercises such as running, walking, and other aerobic activities. The removal of excess skin not only makes exercise physically less taxing, but it will also boost one’s confidence and improve their lifestyle.
With all these aesthetic and medical benefits, a tummy tuck in NYC offer social and emotional advantages to patients. This includes an increase in confidence by being able to choose and wear clothes they want, a tendency to socialize more, and improved quality of life.
Today, you can even get a nonsurgical or non-invasive tummy tuck in NYC. The procedure is performed using InMode EVOLVE, a revolutionary hands-free thermal body and skin treatment that addresses adipose tissue, improves skin quality, and tones the muscles – without surgical intervention.
If you are considering a tummy tuck in New York or any other procedure, make sure to consult with your surgeon to discuss what’s involved in the operation, how you should prepare for it, the benefits and risks involved, and what you can expect during recovery. Choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice adhere to stringent industry regulations with regards to operating room policy, patient safety, environment and procedures.